Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pee on the stick

Having kids is something I have always wanted.

Here is the story about when I found out me and my wife were going to have a baby.

Not being a female, it was explained to me, sometimes you just know! Something about being in-tune with your body and listening to the signs.

In my opinion it’s the fatigue, porcelain hugging and mood swings that are for sure signs. But the previous example sounds more pleasant.

We had made the decision to start trying, with the attitude of if it happens it happens.
Then last summer Lindsay my wife and our daughter Hailey decided to take a trip out to Calgary to visit her Dad. After the second night being there, I received a phone call from her. She seemed excited and a little suspicious as we were talking. She went on to tell me about what they did that day, we talked about the weather there, then very casually says "man I woke up this morning not feeling well. Kind of like sick in the morning".

After a little bit of silence on my part I finally clued in to what she meant.

To keep me a part of the whole experience, she was going to wait until she was home to take the test to confirm.

While Lindsay was still in Calgary I made a trip to the grocery store to pick up my weeks groceries and decided to buy the test for her. So here I am standing in the aisle. Top two shelves have every known type of "pregnancy preventing" aid you could think of. Bottom two shelves is every known pregnancy confirming product you could think of. To make matters worse pregnancy test slogans, names and advertising had one thing in common "clear results". They all claimed,"Take the guess work out", “Our product guarantees you will know if you are pregnant”. With so many to choose from I did what I always do when confronted by this situation in grocery store! I buy the sale item. Grabbed the box, ripped the coupon off the shelf and proceeded to the check out.

After a couple of days Lindsay was back home.

So here we are me and Lindsay standing in the bathroom. Staring at this white stick waiting to see what our results were going to be!!!! Tick-tock, tick-tock! Two lines was a yes, one line was a no. Slowly one line shows clearly, solid and confirmed, bah we are not pregnant!

Confused and disappointed, we look at each other and say "doesn't that SUCK!”

Our conversation went on to Lindsay saying she is really sure that she is. Heartburn has even kicked in, fatigue and sickness again were the for sure "markers" and she swears it is not in her head.

Another ten minutes pass as we converse with our confusion and I happened to glance down at the stick again. The light hit it in just the right way and I could see a water color painted shadow of a second line beside the first.

Wait a minute I say, this is a light of hope! Out come the instructions from inside the box. As mentioned earlier all these test say clear results. What they do not say is check instructions for varied results. Apparently a solid and shadow line is a maybe?!?! Maybe, how could their be a maybe?

So the next morning Lindsay took another test and with the same one solid and one faint line gave us more of a comfort that she was right.

Excited we made the announcement to Hailey, our parents, and our siblings.

Stay tuned for the next instalment…..

2 comments:

  1. Jason,
    You certainly know how to keep a person in suspense. If I didn't know any better, I'd say not only do your talents lay in Geekdom, but you also have a proclivity with "the pen"...Hmmmm. A man of many surprises...delightful ones, I may add.
    xo
    Laura

    ReplyDelete